Dimensions of Continuous Inspection
1. Analyze Code, Report and Take Actions
- Dashboards that report on metrics
- Rule-Based defect identification
- Drilldowns, hotspots and other hunting services
2. Spot Trends with Continuous Time Series Reporting
- Build process integration
- Time machine to "replay the past"
- Quality evolution and trending reports
3. Identify Defects on Latest Changes with Differential Views
- Comparison with various versions of software
- Quickly identify addition of new technical debt
- Monitor coverage on new code
4. Focus Individually with Customized Reports per User
- Each user can create fully customizable dashboards and filters
- Mix various sources of information at varying granularity
- Derive individual actions plans from custom reports
5. Take Control over New Issues
- Manual review workflow to process and resolve violations
- Support for violation comments, developer assignment and action plan association
- Fully integrated with Eclipse IDE
These features enable full support of a Continuous Inspection process and produce three immediate benefits:
- They encourage developer adoption by enabling developers to quickly identify code improvements and quick wins.
- They improve quality of code produced by increasing developer knowledge and understanding of code quality issues.
- They reduce maintenance cost through early identification of quality issues.